Escott Loyal Orange Lodge No. 27
Escott Township, Ontario, Canada
Escott Loyal Orange Lodge No. 27 received its warrant from Ogle Robert Gowan, then Grand Master of Ontario in September 1845.
The first meeting of the Lodge was held in the home of Brother Robert Shaw at County Road 2, #1210.
When Brother Shaw moved to western Ontario, the Lodge met in the home of Brother Thomas Storey located at 1327 County Road 2.
About 1856 Brother Storey donated land on the north side of the road and an Orange Hall was built at 1338 County Road 2. This building was used until 1938.
The first Worshipful Masters were Brothers Nichlos Taylor and Spinser. Thomas Storey was a founding member of this lodge, as well as John Franklin, Robert Moxley, Robert Shaw and Arthur Parr.
Other early members were William H. Ferguson, Benjmin Ferguson, John McNichle, Norris Mallory, Robert Cornett and John Moxley.
The membership of Escott Loyal Orange Lodge No. 27 increased very fast for some time with 200 members in 1900. The Lodge had a fife and drum band with 20 members. Norris Mallory was band master and Thomas Storey captain.
About 1940, Escott Loyal Orange Lodge No. 27 amalgamated with Lansdowne Loyal Orange Lodge No. 26 and the hall was sold to Arthur Storey for $125.00. The money along with some furnishings were turned over to the Lansdowne Lodge.
With information from the Leeds and 1000 Islands Historical Society.
Thomas Storey House, former meeting place of Escott Loyal Orange Lodge No. 27. Located at 1327 County Road 2 in Escott Township, Ontario.
Former Orange Hall of Escott Loyal Orange Lodge No. 27. Located at 1338 County Road 2 in Escott Township, Ontario. Used as an Orange Hall from approximately 1856 to 1938.