Hackett Loyal Orange Lodge No. 805
Hackett Loyal Orange Lodge No. 805 celebrating Derry Day in, London, Ontario on August 12th, 1951.
Hackett Loyal Orange Lodge No. 805 originated in Goderich, Ontario. The Lodge received its warrant on January 12th, 1857. Goderich Loyal Orange Lodge No. 805 was transferred to London East in May, 1878. The Lodge charter was received, and the first meeting held, on May 23 of that year. The Lodge was named after Thomas Lett Hackett, a young Orangeman murdered during the annual July 12th celebrations in Montreal in 1877.
The inaugural officers of the Lodge were:
Hackett Loyal Orange Lodge No. 805 began as a benefit lodge; members were offered health insurance and funeral benefits for additional fees. The lodge changed to a regular Orange Lodge in December, 1934. Early meetings were held at 402 ½ Richmond Street. Meetings were then held at the London East Hall (on Adelaide Street north of St. James Street) until 1914, when the membership moved to the Orange Hall above the Ontario Loan and Debenture Company (the corner of Dundas Street and Market Lane.) In 1924, meetings were moved to the Ulster Hall above the City Gas Company at the corner of Dundas and Clarence Streets, and in 1928 the Lodge moved to 388 Clarence Street.
Hackett Loyal Orange Lodge No. 805 created a fife and drum band in 1915 and a brass band in 1922.
Where is London, Ontario?