By Jeff Dornan
The Peterborough Examiner
“If these walls could talk” is a familiar adage and if it were true a small and unassuming wooden building located just east of Norwood’s downtown would have some stories to tell.
Built in 1836, it is likely Norwood’s oldest building still in use. However one of the most interesting parts about this buildings history is the fact that it has the well-earned distinction of also being the most travelled building in town — having been lifted and moved no less than three times in its 184 years.
David Yates, Signal Star
July 30th, 2020
In a young Ontario the Loyal Orange Lodge was the province’s most powerful fraternal organization. At the turn of the last century, when the Loyal Orange Lodge was its peak, it is estimated that one in three Ontario males was affiliated with the Order.
They were militantly Protestant, Celtic, fanatically British and numbered Prime Ministers among their members. For nearly 160 years, the Orange Order maintained a strong Goderich presence.
On July 12, 1834, when Goderich had a population of nearly 100 people, 14 Orangemen gathered at the home of John Cox.
The small band marched to Captain John Longworth’s home who in turn, provided them with appropriate refreshments wrote local historian W E Elliott.
The following year, a warrant was issued for Goderich Lodge #145 on March 17, 1835 (St. Patrick’s Day) to James Elliott by the Grand Orange Lodge of British America and in December 1845, the lodge was re-designated #182 and later named Victoria Lodge.
Loyal Orange Lodge parade marching north on Albert Street in Clinton on July 12, 1916.
The Signal Star
At the turn of the last century, when the Loyal Orange Lodge was at its most powerful, it is estimated that one in three Ontario men was a member of the Order. They were militantly Protestant, Celtic, fanatically British and numbered Prime Ministers amongst its member.
For nearly 150 years, the Orange Order was represented by Murphy Lodge No. 710.
Portadown True Blues in Canada in 1982
Graeme Cousins, Newsletter
18th March 2020
GRAEME COUSINS finds out why a blood and thunder band from Co Armagh have been invited to a special parade in Canada.
A marching band from Portadown is gearing up for a return to Canada where it will take part in the longest continually running procession in North America.
Portadown True Blues Flute Band’s first visit to Toronto came in 1982 to take part in the city’s Twelfth of July celebrations.
Orange historian Quincey Dougan said: “The Orange heritage of Canada is well known, but lesser known is that the Toronto Twelfth of July celebrations can actually lay claim to being the longest continually running procession in North America, if not the entire world.
By Brian McConnell
The War Memorial in Sydney's Wentworth Park is impressive and unique, commemorating men killed in the First and Second World Wards who belonged to the Loyal Orange Lodge of Cape Breton.
War Memorials are located in communities around Nova Scotia, but none are like the one in Wentworth Park in Sydney, Cape Breton. The monument is very impressive, standing well over three metres high, and is inscribed with the names of 61 Nova Scotians killed in the First and Second World Wars. These men were all members of Orange Lodges in Cape Breton County.
SALMON COVE, N.L. - This week, members of Loyal Orange Lodge 167 Roseville in Salmon Cove were gearing up for the biggest event in the group’s history.The local group is hosting the 147th session of the Provincial Grand Lodge for the first time in its 106-year history.
“It’s something that we’ve wanted to do on a number of occasions, but the opportunity did not arise for us to do it,” recording secretary Willis Parsons told The Compass on April 30, as he and other members prepared pamphlets for the event, which was scheduled to run May 4 to 8. “But this year, we seemed to put a bit of a push at the local level to get involved. We’re only small in numbers and we thought it was too much work, but this year we took it upon ourselves to give it a try.”
L.O.L. 167 Roseville has 14 members and expects to have close to 100 people in attendance for the provincial event, which includes a banquet, parade and church service, among other festivities. Former Newfoundland and Labrador Premier Paul Davis is the scheduled guest speaker for the banquet on May 4.
For after a little bit of digging they've unearthed the surprising fact that Wallace Floody, on whom Charles Bronson's Tunnel King character in the Great Escape movie was based, was a leading Orangeman who's being remembered at events to mark this year's 75th anniversary of the break-out.Yet until 2018 the Order here had absolutely no knowledge about Floody, his Orange background or of his ties to the Great Escape, making him the one that got away, so to speak.
A call from Canada last year alerted local Orangemen to the possibility that Floody might have been a member of the Order on the other side of the Atlantic.
And it was later confirmed that he was indeed an Orangeman.
The Glorious Twelfth is a significant date in the Orange Order calendar, marking the victory of Protestant King William of Orange over Catholic King James II at the Battle of the Boyne in 1690.
The Orange Order is a Protestant organization based predominantly in Northern Ireland and Scotland, though it has lodges throughout Canada and the United States.
In Northern Ireland in 1795 the first Orange Lodge was established, with the date of the society’s first general meeting recorded as July 12, 1796.
On July 12, approximately 30 Orange Lodges will gather at the Neelin Street Community Centre (arena) in Carleton Place to celebrate the Battle of the Boyne’s 328th anniversary. Activities include a service of worship at 3 p.m., conducted by Rev. Dr. Ron Hunt of St. Bede’s Anglican Church in Nolan’s Corners. A roast beef dinner follows at 4:30 p.m.
Distributes over $37,000 to Trinity-Conception community groups.
HARBOUR GRACE, NL — For decades, Loyal Orange Lodge Chosen Few 153 Tilton has supported a variety of organizations.
While Tilton may be in its name, the group's membership comes from all over the Trinity-Conception area. With the general membership of this Protestant fraternal group aging more every year, several LOLs in the region now cease to exist. Those Orangeman who did remain are now a part of the Tilton group. As a result, it has more communities to serve than ever before.
In 2017, the group donated over $37,000 to different organizations, including schools, fire departments, food banks, churches and non-profits active in the health sector such as the Janeway Children's Foundation, Daffodil Place and the Trinity-Conception-Placentia Health Foundation.
Street looking west towards Head Lake. The Haliburton Orange Hall built during 1897-98 which was the home of Loyal Orange Lodge No. 975 is the building at foreground centre.
By Stephen Hill;
Haliburton Highlands Museum Curator
The Loyal Orange Lodge with its principles of loyalty to the Crown and the preservation of the Protestant religion originated in Ireland in 1795. Symbolic of the order was King William III who at the Battle of the Boyne in 1690 defeated the Roman Catholic forces of James II and thereby secured Protestant succession to the British Throne. Orangeism gradually spread abroad being officially organized in Canada in 1830. Its ideology was concurrent with the times and was shared by members and non-members alike.
Annual ‘King Billy’ July 12th parade marks Canada 150, plus 500th anniversary of Protestant Reformation
King Billy has once again strode the streets of Carleton Place — albeit sidestepping Lake Avenue construction.
The annual July 12th parade, commemorating the Battle of the Boyne in Ireland in 1690, when the forces of the Protestant King William of Orange defeated the forces of the Catholic King James II in County Meath, was held in Carleton Place this past Wednesday, starting at the arena on Neelin Street.
Orange Lodges from across eastern Ontario, from as far away as Renfrew County and Morrisburg, joined in the march, which went from the arena to downtown’s Bridge Street, and back. The parade, in years past, has gone down Lake Avenue to get to the downtown core, but had to be diverted this year because of ongoing construction work on the road.
July 10 2017
The birthplace of Orangeism may be Armagh, but brethren stepped out in cities across the world over the weekend as the build-up to the Twelfth continues.
In Toronto, Canadian flags were held aloft along with Orange banners and Union flags as the annual procession made its way through the busy downtown area.
Orange lodges in Canada date back to 1812 and Toronto's parade appears to be the longest continually running parade in North America. It started in 1820.
A number of Orange parades also take place in Australia each year. Adelaide held its annual Twelfth parade last week.
One of the strongest presences of the Orange Order outside Northern Ireland is in Scotland, where on July 1 an estimated 4,500 people in 63 bands paraded through Glasgow city centre.
In England a number of parades are held in Liverpool, including a junior Twelfth parade through the city centre yesterday. On Wednesday parades will be held in Southport and Liverpool.
An estimated 5,000 marchers from 125 different lodges are due to take part.
There are also functioning Orange lodges from as far away as the United States to African states such as Togo.
Meanwhile, the Orange Order placed a full-page advertisement in Northern Ireland's main daily newspapers on Saturday, including the nationalist Irish News.
The advert for Belfast Orangefest 2017 urged people to come to the city to enjoy the Twelfth parade, a food festival and street entertainment.
It also noted that shops in the city would be open from noon.
“Waltzes, polkas, rills and trills and smiles” High low I go, how we danced them all …”
The words of the song, “Dance at the Orangemen’s Hall,” written by the late Fred Peach describe some merriment there over a century ago, relating a humourous story of mischief and its consequences. For anyone over a certain age, the Orangeman’s, or Orange Hall as it was called, evokes a flood of memories.
The name had nothing to do with colour at all. Back in 1889, a group of the Orange Order formed in Cow Bay (Port Morien) and built a meeting hall there. The Order was named for Prince William of Orange, who seized the British throne after defeating the Catholic King James in battle. The Orangemen promoted the Protestant faith and mutual aid of their members. It wasn’t uncommon for members of many religious groups at the time to form exclusive fraternal organizations.
The western chapter of the Orange Lodge of Canada recently gathered in Innisfail for its annual general meeting.
Orangemen from across the Prairies attended the event on April 16.
“We have an annual meeting of the right worshipful grand lodge, which is the four western provinces,” said William Johnston, most worshipful brother, past grand master and sovereign of the Grand Orange Lodge of Canada. “We meet once a year in April and this is the first time we’ve been in Innisfail.”
Johnston, a member of the Orange Lodge in Innisfail, was joined by about 30 to 40 members who all took part in the annual meeting that included a short memorial service.
Members marched to the Innisfail cenotaph led by a piper, where the group laid a wreath to remember the Orangemen who fought and died in the two world wars. The service also included the reading of Psalm 23 and a moment of silence. It was followed by a luncheon at noon and the annual banquet later that evening at the Innisfail Royal Canadian Legion.
The Prince Arthur Loyal Orange Lodge #57 in Charlottetown will celebrate their 120th anniversary on March 19, 2016.
The group will celebrate with a divine Church service at the Emanuel United Church at 3 p.m. with Brother and Sir Knight, Pastor Glenn Jarvis. At 5 p.m. they will be serving a hot dinner with entertainment to follow.
This year, Prince Arthur LOL #57 Charlottetown will be donating $1 for every meal sold to charity. Their donations will be a 50/50 split between Daffodil Place and Ronald McDonald House in St. John’s.
In addition, they will have a voluntary donation box for those wishing to contribute.
The Provincial Grand Orange Lodge of Newfoundland and Labrador will also participate in the event. They will also make a donation on behalf of the provincial group.
For more information contact Ralph Ford at xxx@xxxx or by phone at xxx-xxx-xxxx.
From left, John Arksey, county master for Rideau/St. Lawrence County Orange Lodges, Kevin Bradley, Worshipful Master of the Carleton Place Lodge, and Mark Alexander, provincial grand master, Ontario East, of the Grand Orange Lodge of Eastern Ontario, stand before The Holy Bible and the Union Jack, key tenants of the Orange movement, during the Carleton Place Lodge’s 185th anniversary celebrations this past September at the hall on Industrial Avenue.
King Billy’s white charger is getting put out to pasture – in Carleton Place, at least, with news that the Loyal Orange Lodge No. 48 will be closing its doors officially on New Year’s Eve.
The decision was made at a meeting of the Lodge this past October, as membership was declining significantly. In fact, the numbers were down so much that Grand Master Kevin Bradley said that members of the Lodge in Montague Township were regularly invited to meetings to make sure that the bare minimum quorum of five was met – a method of operations that was simply not sustainable.
“That’s not how a Lodge should be run,” said Bradley. “Life changes and you have to go along with it.”
One-hundred and eighty-five years ago, in 1830, the Grand Lodge of Ireland issued the original warrant for Loyal Orange Lodge (LOL) No. 48 in Carleton Place.
The warrant, which hangs in the Orange Hall at 195 Industrial Ave, was issued to John Carboy, Kevin Bradley told the Canadian Gazette.
Bradley is the master of LOL No. 48, and he’s the immediate past grand master of Provincial Grand Orange Lodge of Ontario East.
Fifteen years later – on Feb. 24, 1845 – the Grand Lodge of Ireland recognized British America as its own separate entity. As a result, the warrant for LOL No. 48 was re-issued.
“And we were lucky enough that they gave us the same number,” Bradley said.
With members throughout the world, the Orange Order is a Protestant fraternal society, which was founded in 1795 in Ireland to commemorate the victory of King William of Orange over Catholic King James II at the Battle of the Boyne in 1690.
Torchlight shines on a wall with paintings of battle scenes from the late 17th Century.
It's just after 17:00 local time, so there's no power yet - the electricity comes on at 18:00.
The battery-powered beam reveals a familiar picture of a king on a white horse.
He is the Dutch-born British monarch King William III, a man whose image is on many gable walls in Northern Ireland.
But this is one-and-a-half continents away from Belfast.
I'm on the outskirts of Accra, in the home of Dennis Tette Tay, the acting grand master of the Orange Order in Ghana.
Dennis's living room is full of photos, paintings and certificates relating to the order.
He tells me Orangeism is "in his soul".
One of Surrey’s oldest heritage buildings, Loyal Orange Lodge No. 1471, has been torn down.
Its lifetime spanned three centuries and it survived a move to Surrey Centre Cemetery, where it sat for two decades awaiting restoration.
Last week, with no rescuer on the horizon and its walls bowing with rot, the hall was torn down by the City of Surrey.
Built in 1891, the hall was one of the last surviving institutional buildings from Surrey’s pioneer past, serving an important role in the settlement and further development of the city’s culture as the focus of community life for early protestant settlers.
By Emma Jackson, Manotick News
Any centenarian will gain a few wrinkles along the way; the Orange Lodge in Edwards is no exception.
Osgoode Township High School teacher Ryan Campbell has been busy putting the final touches on the building's makeover in honour of its 100th year on Mitch Owens Road near Yorks Corners Road.
"She's 100 years old and she's showing her scars,"
Campbell said. "We're trying to cover some of them up."
The small, white building next to the post office has had its floor fixed and new carpet installed, and the main hall has been freshly painted. The outside has also been freshened up, and a sign has been added above the main entrance to identify the otherwise easy to miss Lodge 2297.