Ten years later, Alice Teichert and Bobby Tamo complete renovations on John Street building in Port Hope
PORT HOPE -- The Orange Hall building on John Street in Port Hope has stood for 140 years, and with the help of two residents and the local branch of the Architectural Conservancy of Ontario (ACO), it will continue to stand for years to come.
Alice Teichert and her husband, Bobby Tamo, both Port Hope artists, bought the building in 2003 and have now renovated the old lodge, as it was formerly called, inside and out. The building includes Ms. Teichert’s studio and gallery on the main floor, and office space upstairs.
In 1874, William Craig, who was then president of the Port Hope Chapter of the Young Men’s Christian Association (YMCA), bought the land on John Street and built the original building. In 1912, the building was sold to the Salvation Army. The Loyal Orange Association bought the building in 1936. It was sold again for retail space in 1972.