Pioneer Loyal Orange Lodge No. 516
Warwick, Ontario, Canada
One of the earliest Lodges in Warwick Township, Ontario was Warwick Loyal Orange Lodge No. 516 which was organized in the 1860's with a membership of 25 to 30 people. They held monthly meetings in the summer months. The Piccolo and Drum Band would make an appearance on the porch of the Orange Hall and play a few selections at these meetings.
Early Warwick members included Charles and Sydney Barnes, Thomas and John Brush, David Falloon, Charles and Robert Hawkins, Hanson Holbrook, John Learn and William Blunt.
In the old Orange Hall there were banners that hung on the walls proclaiming Faith, Hope and Charity. There was also a large picture of King William of Orange riding his white horse crossing the Boyne. On July 12 an annual celebration was held to commemorate the Battle of the Boyne. The white horse always had its place in these parades.
The original Orange Hall where these events were held was on the south side of the Egremont Road on Lot 16, Concession 1. In about 1899 the Hall was moved across to the north side of the Egremont Road to Lot 16.
In 1903 the original building was cut in half and an addition built between the two sections. This was done because of an increased membership in the Lodge and more space being required for social activities such as dances, Christmas entertainment and stage shows.
During the 1920's and 1930's the annual school fairs, where students’ school work, baking, canning, garden flowers and vegetables were displayed and judged, were held here.
Calves were tied up to the fences along the Hall for showing and judging. Prizes were given for the best recitation, best song, best mouth organ selection, best whistler and best duet.
School parades were the highlight of the fair. The Lodge membership declined and eventually the hall was torn down and removed in the 1940's.
Ribbon of Pioneer Loyal Orange Lodge No. 516 (Photo: Lambton County Museum).